Monday, July 4, 2011

Arizona, Colorado, D.C., and Tennessee

In honor of procrastination, this week we'll look at a few more flags that I don't think need any help.

1) Arizona:


Bright primary colors and a great use of copper.  If I have to make a critique, it's that the top half of the star is a little indistinct because of the surrounding lines, but that's the worst I've got so Arizona needs to make no apologies.  Just make sure you have your papers if you visit.

2) Colorado:


The most common complaint I've heard about this flag is it looks a little too much like a corporate logo.  I understand the sentiment, but don't share it.  Only corporations are allowed to used stylized letters?  That doesn't seem fair.  I love this flag.

3) Washington, D.C.:


Great history and far and away the best flag of the "Other" category of state flags (I like American Samoa too, but their eagle is pretty busy). This flag is the coat of arms of George Washington, first president, most famous man with false teeth, married a rich, attractive, young widow (those later portraits don't do Martha justice), first in war, first in peace, etc.  It ties in the history of the District with two parallel lines and three stars, hard to top that.

4) Tennessee:


The stars in the center can look a little jumbled, but they're really just rotating around a central point.  They also each represent one of the Grand Divisions of the state (East, West, and Middle).  But my favorite part of this flag is the blue stripe on the right.  When asked about the stripes symbolism, the designer, Colonel LeRoy Reeves said, "The final blue bar relieves the sameness of the crimson field and prevents the flag from showing too much crimson when hanging limp."  Did you get that?  The stripe is there just because.  Not sure why, but I really like that.

4 comments:

  1. These are three of my favorites too.

    So, Greetings! One of my compatriots at www.flagsforum.com found you. I'm doing the exact same thing over there in the thread "Fixing the Bad American State (and Territory) Flags" ( url is http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1245 )
    I've been attempting to collate everybody's suggestions from all over the web. I've actually got designs for just about every flag, even if I haven't found time to post them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Significant lover of your site, a considerable amount of your site posts have actually helped me out. Searching toward updates!
    Swooper Flag
    Feather Flag

    ReplyDelete